The best gifts for children do not cost a penny!
Many of us would like to give our children the latest video game, cell phone, laptop, or the latest stylish clothes.
Don’t be disappointed if you are unable to do this. There are other, more valuable presents that will impact their lives forever.
Remember your own life. Think about a lasting gift given to you by a family member — an interest in cooking, perhaps, or an appreciation of a sport or the outdoors, the art of truly listening, a love of reading.
Children are not mature enough to appreciate these types of gifts now, but these are immensely more valuable to them. As they grow older, they will realize the importance of meaningful gifts.
Actions do speak louder than words, and whether you desire it or not, children will internalize your values. Here are some worthwhile gifts that will affect their lives forever.
- Your time (and undivided attention)
- Self-esteem based on honest, successful experiences
- Physical, mental, and emotional security
- Unconditional acceptance (don’t compare to siblings or peers)
- Age-appropriate independence
- Interpersonal skills (with friends, relatives, adults)
- Family heritage
- Cultural heritage
- A hopeful, optimistic attitude
These qualities promote happy memories and richer relationships throughout the years. They are the most valuable presents you can give to your children.
See our free flyer to send home to parents: About Gifts.
Also, be sure to check out another free tip: Praise Brings More Than Smiles
© Reading Spotlight 2021